Blue-green Algae, a Danger to Dogs

Blue-green algae is a term used to describe a group of bacteria, called cyanobacteria. They are not actually algae, but the organisms got this name because they often give the appearance of algae when they clump together in bodies of water.

Blue-green algae is most common during the hotter, drier summer months when there is less rain. It is most common in non-flowing fresh water such as lakes and ponds during hot weather when there is less rainfall, but can also occur at other times of the year.


Concentrations of the algae vary throughout the year and may not always be harmful - but you can't tell simply by looking at them whether or not they are dangerous, so it is best not to run the risk of allowing your dog to come into contact with water where the algae may be present. The algae may be present in a harmful form even if you cannot see it, so take note of any warning signs in the area. The bacteria cannot be seen with the naked eye unless they clump together. When this happens, blue-green algae can look like green flakes, greenish bundles or brown dots in a pond, lake or stream.


When the algae blooms, it can look like a blue-green scum has appeared on the surface of the water. It sometimes looks a bit like pea soup. Blooms of the organisms often build up around the edges of ponds and lakes, which may look like foam.


Sadly, blue-green algae poisoning often eventually causes fatal liver failure. It can also cause long term health problems in dogs that survive after drinking or swimming in algae-contaminated water. Some types of blue-green algae can kill a dog just 15 minutes to an hour after drinking contaminated water. So don't let dogs drink from water that may have blue-green algae in. Because the wind often blows blooms of algae to the edges of ponds or lakes, higher concentrations of the toxin are more likely to be present in the parts of the water your dog may drink from. Dogs who have been swimming in water can get the algae caught in their fur, and can ingest it while cleaning themselves later on.

If your dog shows any of the following signs after drinking from, or swimming or paddling in water, contact your vet immediately and tell them you are concerned about blue-green algae: " Vomiting/being sick " Diarrhoea " Seizures/fitting " Weakness/collapse/unconsciousness " Disorientation/confusion " Drooling " Breathing difficulties These symptoms are commonly seen with other illnesses too, which are often less serious, but you should always call your vet if you are worried your pet is sick. There is no antidote for the toxins produced by the bacteria, but if caught early enough, your vet will likely try to make your dog sick and attempt to flush the toxins from the body before they take hold.


Take note of signs warning of the algae during dog walks
and follow the information given.



Top

www.welshcorgi-news.ch
05.08.2020