Fireworks - Dangers

Fireworks are dangerous to pets in several ways. First, the loud noise of fireworks (on national holidays and New Year's Eve) can result in severe stress, fear, and anxiety.
Secondly, when unused and used fireworks are ingested, they are poisonous to pets. Fireworks contain hazardous chemicals such as potassium nitrate, which is an oxidizing agent. They can also contain charcoal or sulfur and coloring agents, which are potentially dangerous heavy metals.
When ingested, pets can develop gastrointestinal issues like vomiting, a painful abdomen, and bloody diarrhea. The severity of pet health issues resulting from ingestion will depend on the type of fireworks and the amount that was ingested.
Pets ingesting large amounts can suffer tremors or seizures, along with acute kidney failure, bone marrow changes, shallow breathing and jaundice, which is yellowing of the skin.

If your dog is afraid of fireworks or thunderstorms, a thundershirt may help.